Monday, March 20, 2017

St. Patrick's Day


Although, I am not even 1% Irish, I still love to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Every year, my grandmother makes corn beef and cabbage for my sisters and I. I look forward to it every year because it is the only time that I have that meal and it is always so delicious. I think it is wonderful, that the city partakes in the holiday by having a parade that shows off Irish pride. I was able to go to the parade a few times and it was always a great time. However, now that I work full time, I have not been able to go. Overall St. Patrick's day is a great holiday because it is amazing to see so many people come together to celebrate the Irish culture, even those that are not one bit Irish.

Vocabulary
celebrate: to do something special for an important event
St. Patrick's Day: a cultural and religious event for an Irish saint name Saint Patrick.
wonderful: very good
partake: to have a part in something
parade: people marching for a special event
pride: a  feeling of self-respect

Vocabulary Exercise
Write a sentence using each of the vocabulary words above.
1. celebrate: ________________________________________________
2. St. Patrick's Day: __________________________________________
3. wonderful: _______________________________________________
4. partake: _________________________________________________
5. parade:  _________________________________________________
6. pride: ___________________________________________________


Grammar Point
A pronoun is a word used to substitute a noun. We use pronouns so we do not keep repeating the same noun over and over again. Some examples of pronouns are I, it, he, she, her, him, they, and them. To choose which pronoun to use it depends on if the noun is masculine, feminine, or plural. Masculine you use he or him. Feminine you use she or her. Plural you use they or them. I is used if you are talking about yourself.

List the pronouns I used in my paragraph above. Then rewrite the sentence to change the underlined noun to a pronoun in the following four sentences.

1. Jackie went to the mall.
   ________________________________________________

2. The teacher was reading to the class.
   _________________________________________________

3. Kayla and Briana met Jenna at the mall.
    _________________________________________________

4. Daniel was going over to Jake's house to watch a movie.
   __________________________________________________

  

1 comment:

  1. Good entry and activities! Yes, St. Patrick's Day is for everyone to enjoy, and it is good to explain this to your students, who may come from some place where it is not celebrated.

    ReplyDelete