Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Best Experience of My Life

The Best Experience of My Life 
     Throughout my life, I have had many wonderful experiences. The one that stands out to me and the one that I would call the best experience of my life is studying abroad in Paris, France. I had the opportunity to study abroad during the summer of 2013 for one month. It was after my sophomore year of college. I learned so many valuable things while studying abroad as well as met so many amazing people that I still stay in touch with today. It allowed me to experience and indulge in a totally different way of life that I was not use to. It changed my life in so many ways. 
     Before studying abroad, I was going through some tough things in my personal life. However, having the chance to experience this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity opened my eyes to many things. It made me realize there was no need to dwell on things that I could not change. I learned to live in the present, to not think back on my past, and to not worry about my future. Not only did it change the way I think about life, but it also allowed me to learn so many interesting things that I never knew before. I was able to go to many famous monuments of Paris and learn about them, Not only was I able to experience Paris, but I was able to travel to London and Amsterdam. One of my favorite parts was going to Amsterdam and being able to tour the inside of where Anne Frank stayed during those terrible times. I remember specifically reading Anne Frank's Diary for my eighth-grade English class and becoming so interested in the topic. I remember thinking back then that I would love actually see the place that she and her family had stayed but knowing it  probably would not happen since it was in another country. However, I was wrong because I did have the opportunity to see it in real life, and it was more touching than I could have imagined. 


Vocabulary:
wonderful: extremely good 
abroad: in a foreign country
valuable: useful information 
indulge: to allow yourself to have or to do something as a special pleasure
monuments: a structure made to keep alive the memory of a person or event 
terrible: extremely bad
touching: heartwarming 

Vocabulary Exercise:
Write a sentence for each vocabulary word to the best of your ability. Use the definitions provided to help.    

Grammar Point
A proper noun is a word or group of words that is the name of a particular person, place, or thing. Proper nouns begin with a capital letter. For example, Jackie, Disney World, and New York Jets are proper nouns. 

Grammar Activity:
Find the proper nouns in my above paragraph. Then think of 10 of your own. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your recount of your summer studying abroad for the second time. I like the vocabulary and grammar points. For your ESL students, you should add Anne Frank to the vocabulary list with a photo and explanation of who she was.

    ReplyDelete